Salaman/Peace

What Quran Says About “Peace”(Salaman)


(This is) a recital of the Mercy of thy Lord to His servant Zakariya. [19:2] Behold! he cried to his Lord in secret, [19:3] Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth glisten with grey: but never am I unblest, O my Lord, in my prayer to Thee! [19:4] "Now I fear (what) my relatives (and colleagues) (will do) after me: but my wife is barren: so give me an heir as from Thyself,- [19:5] "(One that) will (truly) represent me, and represent the posterity of Jacob; and make him, O my Lord! one with whom Thou art well-pleased!" [19:6] (His prayer was answered): "O Zakariya! We give thee good news of a son: His name shall be Yahya: on none by that name have We conferred distinction before." [19:7] He said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I have grown quite decrepit from old age?" [19:8] He said: "So (it will be) thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: I did indeed create thee before, when thou hadst been nothing!'" [19:9] (Zakariya) said: "O my Lord! give me a Sign." "Thy Sign," was the answer, "Shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three nights, although thou art not dumb." [19:10] So Zakariya came out to his people from him chamber: He told them by signs to celebrate God's praises in the morning and in the evening. [19:11] (To his son came the command): "O Yahya! take hold of the Book with might": and We gave him Wisdom even as a youth, [19:12] And piety (for all creatures) as from Us, and purity: He was devout, [19:13] And kind to his parents, and he was not overbearing or rebellious. [19:14] So Peace on him the day he was born, the day that he dies, and the day that he will be raised up to life (again)! [19:15] Relate in the Book (the story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place in the East. [19:16] She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent her our angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects. [19:17] She said: "I seek refuge from thee to (God) Most Gracious: (come not near) if thou dost fear God." [19:18] He said: "Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, (to announce) to thee the gift of a holy son. [19:19] She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?" [19:20] He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed." [19:21] So she conceived him, and she retired with him to a remote place. [19:22] And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!"

[19:23] But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee; [19:24] "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee. [19:25] "So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man, say, 'I have vowed a fast to (God) Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into not talk with any human being'" [19:26] At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought! [19:27] "O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!" [19:28] But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?" [19:29] He said: "I am indeed a servant of God: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; [19:30] "And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; [19:31] "(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable; [19:32] "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"! [19:33] Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. [19:34] It is not befitting to (the majesty of) God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is. [19:35] Verily God is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve ye: this is a Way that is straight. [19:36] But the sects differ among themselves: and woe to the unbelievers because of the (coming) Judgment of a Momentous Day! [19:37] How plainly will they see and hear, the Day that they will appear before Us! but the unjust today are in error manifest! [19:38] But warn them of the Day of Distress, when the matter will be determined: for (behold,) they are negligent and they do not believe! [19:39] It is We Who will inherit the earth, and all beings thereon: to Us will they all be returned. [19:40] (Also mention in the Book (the story of) Abraham: He was a man of Truth, a prophet. [19:41] Behold, he said to his father: "O my father! why worship that which heareth not and seeth not, and can profit thee nothing? [19:42] "O my father! to me hath come knowledge which hath not reached thee: so follow me: I will guide thee to a way that is even and straight. [19:43] "O my father! serve not Satan: for Satan is a rebel against (God) Most Gracious. [19:44] "O my father! I fear lest a Penalty afflict thee from (God) Most Gracious, so that thou become to Satan a friend." [19:45] (The father) replied: "Dost thou hate my gods, O Abraham? If thou forbear not, I will indeed stone thee: Now get away from me for a good long while!" [19:46] Abraham said: "Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for thy forgiveness: for He is to me Most Gracious. [19:47] "And I will turn away from you (all) and from those whom ye invoke besides God: I will call on my Lord: perhaps, by my prayer to my Lord, I shall be not unblest." [19:48] When he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped besides God, We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and each one of them We made a prophet. [19:49] And We bestowed of Our Mercy on them, and We granted them lofty honour on the tongue of truth. [19:50] Also mention in the Book (the story of) Moses: for he was specially chosen, and he was an apostle (and) a prophet. [19:51] And we called him from the right side of Mount (Sinai), and made him draw near to Us, for mystic (converse). [19:52] And, out of Our Mercy, We gave him his brother Aaron, (also) a prophet. [19:53] Also mention in the Book (the story of) Isma'il: He was (strictly) true to what he promised, and he was an apostle (and) a prophet. [19:54] He used to enjoin on his people Prayer and Charity, and he was most acceptable in the sight of his Lord. [19:55] Also mention in the Book the case of Idris: He was a man of truth (and sincerity), (and) a prophet: [19:56] And We raised him to a lofty station. [19:57] Those were some of the prophets on whom God did bestow His Grace,- of the posterity of Adam, and of those who We carried (in the Ark) with Noah, and of the posterity of Abraham and Israel of those whom We guided and chose. Whenever the Signs of (God) Most Gracious were rehearsed to them, they would fall down in prostrate adoration and in tears. [19:58] But after them there followed a posterity who missed prayers and followed after lusts soon, then, will they face Destruction,- [19:59] Except those who repent and believe, and work righteousness: for these will enter the Garden and will not be wronged in the least,- [19:60] Gardens of Eternity, those which (God) Most Gracious has promised to His servants in the Unseen: for His promise must (necessarily) come to pass. [19:61] They will not there hear any vain discourse, but only salutations of Peace: And they will have therein their sustenance, morning and evening. [19:62]

In the past We granted to Moses and Aaron the criterion (for judgment), and a Light and a Message for those who would do right,- [21:48] Those who fear their Lord in their most secret thoughts, and who hold the Hour (of Judgment) in awe. [21:49] And this is a blessed Message which We have sent down: will ye then reject it? [21:50] We bestowed aforetime on Abraham his rectitude of conduct, and well were We acquainted with him. [21:51] Behold! he said to his father and his people, "What are these images, to which ye are (so assiduously) devoted?"

[21:52] They said, "We found our fathers worshipping them." [21:53] He said, "Indeed ye have been in manifest error - ye and your fathers." [21:54] They said, "Have you brought us the Truth, or are you one of those who jest?" [21:55] He said, "Nay, your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, He Who created them (from nothing): and I am a witness to this (Truth). [21:56] "And by God, I have a plan for your idols - after ye go away and turn your backs".. [21:57] So he broke them to pieces, (all) but the biggest of them, that they might turn (and address themselves) to it. [21:58] They said, "Who has done this to our gods? He must indeed be some man of impiety!" [21:59] They said, "We heard a youth talk of them: He is called Abraham." [21:60] They said, "Then bring him before the eyes of the people, that they may bear witness." [21:61] They said, "Art thou the one that did this with our gods, O Abraham?" [21:62] He said: "Nay, this was done by - this is their biggest one! ask them, if they can speak intelligently!" [21:63] So they turned to themselves and said, "Surely ye are the ones in the wrong!" [21:64] Then were they confounded with shame: (they said), "Thou knowest full well that these (idols) do not speak!" [21:65] (Abraham) said, "Do ye then worship, besides God, things that can neither be of any good to you nor do you harm? [21:66] "Fie upon you, and upon the things that ye worship besides God! Have ye no sense?".. [21:67] They said, "Burn him and protect your gods, If ye do (anything at all)!" [21:68] We said, "O Fire! be thou cool, and (a means of) safety for Abraham!" [21:69]

Has the story reached thee, of the honoured guests of Abraham? [51:24] Behold, they entered his presence, and said: "Peace!" He said, "Peace!" (and thought, "These seem) unusual people." [51:25]

There came Our messengers to Abraham with glad tidings. They said, "Peace!" He answered, "Peace!" and hastened to entertain them with a roasted calf. [11:69]

When they entered his presence and said, "Peace!" He said, "We feel afraid of you!" [15:52] They said: "Fear not! We give thee glad tidings of a son endowed with wisdom." [15:53] He said: "Do ye give me glad tidings that old age has seized me? Of what, then, is your good news?" [15:54] They said: "We give thee glad tidings in truth: be not then in despair!" [15:55] He said: "And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord, but such as go astray?" [15:56]

And the servants of (God) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!"; [25:63] Those who spend the night in adoration of their Lord prostrate and standing; [25:64] Those who say, "Our Lord! avert from us the Wrath of Hell, for its Wrath is indeed an affliction grievous,- [25:65] "Evil indeed is it as an abode, and as a place to rest in"; [25:66] Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes); [25:67] Those who invoke not, with God, any other god, nor slay such life as God has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. [25:68] (But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy,- [25:69] Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for God will change the evil of such persons into good, and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful, [25:70] And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to God with an (acceptable) conversion;-

[25:71] Those who witness no falsehood, and, if they pass by futility, they pass by it with honourable (avoidance); [25:72] Those who, when they are admonished with the Signs of their Lord, droop not down at them as if they were deaf or blind; [25:73] And those who pray, "Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous." [25:74]

Those are the ones who will be rewarded with the highest place in heaven, because of their patient constancy: therein shall they be met with salutations and peace, [25:75]

Round about them will (serve) youths of perpetual (freshness), [56:17] With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled) out of clear-flowing fountains: [56:18] No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will they suffer intoxication: [56:19] And with fruits, any that they may select: [56:20] And the flesh of fowls, any that they may desire. [56:21] And (there will be) Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes,- [56:22] Like unto Pearls well-guarded. [56:23] A Reward for the deeds of their past (life). [56:24] Not frivolity will they hear therein, nor any taint of ill,- [56:25] Only the saying, "Peace! Peace". [56:26]